Deliver to the interprofessional team a presentation (20 minutes; 12-15 slides) that analyzes an existing workplace quality improvement initiative related to a specific disease, condition, or public health issue of interest. The presentation’s purpose is to inform and get buy-in from the interprofessional team.
Too often, discussions about quality health care, care costs, and outcome measures take place in isolationvarious groups talking among themselves about results and enhancements. Nurses are critical to the delivery of high-quality, efficient health care. As a result, they must develop their skills in reviewing and evaluating performance reports. They also need to be able to communicate outcome measures related to quality initiatives effectively. Patient safety and positive institutional health care outcomes mandate collaboration among nursing staff members to ensure the integration of their perspectives in all quality care initiatives.
In this assessment, you will have the opportunity to analyze a quality improvement initiative in your workplace. You will then present your analysis to a group of nurses and other health care professionals. The purpose of your presentation is to inform and enlist support for the initiative from your audience.
Quality Initiative Selection
In this assessment you will deliver an analysis of an ongoing quality improvement initiative in your workplace. The initiative you analyze must relate to a specific disease, condition, or public health issue of personal or professional interest to you. The purpose of your analysis is to assess whether specific quality indicators point to improved patient safety, quality of care, cost and efficiency goals, and other desired metrics. Your audience consists of nurses and selected health care professionals with specializations or interest in your selected condition, disease, or issue. You hope to inform and garner support for the initiative from your audience.
Recording Your Presentation
To prepare to record a voice-over for your presentation:
- Set up and test your microphone or headset using the installation instructions provided by the manufacturer. You only need to use the headset if your audio is not clear and high quality when captured by the microphone.
- Practice using the equipment to ensure the audio quality is sufficient.
- Consult Using Kaltura for guidance on how to record your presentation and upload it in the courseroom.
- Microsoft PowerPoint also allows you to record your narration with your slides. If you choose this option, simply submit your presentation to the appropriate area of the courseroom. Your narration will be included with your slides.
- Remember to practice delivering and recording your presentation multiple times to ensure effective delivery.
Note: If you require the use of assistive technology or alternative communication methods to participate in this activity, please contact Disability Services at DisabilityServices@Capella.edu to request accommodations.
The optional QI Initiative Evaluation Presentation Template [PPTX] is provided to help you prepare your slides. If you choose to work without the template, consider referring to Guidelines for Effective PowerPoint Presentations [PPTX].
In your presentation, you will:
- Analyze a current quality improvement initiative in a health care or practice setting according to strategic organizational initiatives.
- Explain the rationale behind the QI improvement initiative. What prompted the initiative?
- Detail problems that were not addressed and any issues that arose from the initiative.
- Evaluate the success of a current quality improvement initiative according to recognized national benchmarks.
- Analyze the benchmarks used to evaluate success. Which aspects of the initiative were most successful? What outcome measures are missing or could be added?
- Incorporate one appropriate supporting visual (such as a graph or chart) that showcases the most critical aspect of this presentation.
- Incorporate interprofessional perspectives related to initiative functionality and outcomes.
- Integrate the perspectives of interprofessional team members involved in the initiative. Who did you talk to? What are their professions? How did their perspectives impact your analysis?
- Recommend additional indicators and protocols to improve and expand outcomes of a quality initiative.
- Identify specific process or protocol changes as well as technologies that would improve quality outcomes.
- Ensure slides are easy to read and error free. Provide detailed speaker notes. Also ensure audio is clear, organized, and professionally presented.
- Organize content with clear purpose/goals and with relevant and evidence-based sources (published within 5 years).