Discussion: Developing a Culture of Evidence-Based Practice
As your EBP skills grow, you may be called upon to share your expertise with others. While EBP practice is often conducted with unique outcomes in mind, EBP practitioners who share their results can both add to the general body of knowledge and serve as an advocate for the application of EBP.
In this Discussion, you will explore strategies for disseminating EBP within your organization, community, or industry.
· Review the Resources and reflect on the various strategies presented throughout the course that may be helpful in disseminating effective and widely cited EBP.
o This may include: unit-level or organizational-level presentations, poster presentations, and podium presentations at organizational, local, regional, state, and national levels, as well as publication in peer-reviewed journals.
· Reflect on which type of dissemination strategy you might use to communicate EBP.
Post at least two dissemination strategies you would be most inclined to use and explain why. Explain which dissemination strategies you would be least inclined to use and explain why. Identify at least two barriers you might encounter when using the dissemination strategies you are most inclined to use. Be specific and provide examples. Explain how you might overcome the barriers you identified.
Assignment: Evidence-Based Capstone Project, Part 6: Disseminating Results
The dissemination of EBP results serves multiple important roles. Sharing results makes the case for your decisions. It also adds to the body of knowledge, which creates opportunities for future practitioners. By presenting results, you also become an advocate for EBP, creating a culture within your organization or beyond that informs, educates, and promotes the effective use of EBP.
· Review the final PowerPoint presentation you submitted in Module 5, and make any necessary changes based on the feedback you have received and on lessons you have learned throughout the course.
· Consider the best method of disseminating the results of your presentation to an audience.
Create a 5-minute, 5- to 6-slide narrated PowerPoint presentation of your Evidence-Based Project.
· Be sure to incorporate any feedback or changes from your presentation submission in Module 5.
· Explain how you would disseminate the results of your project to an audience. Provide a rationale for why you selected this dissemination strategy.
Submit Part 6, your revised PowerPoint presentation of your Evidence-Based Project.
Resources to use below:
Melnyk, B. M., & Fineout-Overholt, E. (2018). Evidence-based practice in nursing & healthcare: A guide to best practice (4th ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer.
- Chapter 10, The Role of Outcomes on Evidence-based Quality Improvement and enhancing and Evaluating Practice Changes (pp. 293312)
- Chapter 12, Leadership Strategies for Creating and Sustaining Evidence-based Practice Organizations (pp. 328343)
- Chapter 14, Models to Guide Implementation and Sustainability of Evidence-based Practice (pp. 378427)
Gallagher-Ford, L., Fineout-Overholt, E., Melnyk, B. M., & Stillwell, S. B. (2011). Evidence-based practice, step by step: Implementing an evidence-based practice change. American Journal of Nursing, 111(3), 5460. doi:10.1097/10.1097/01.NAJ.0000395243.14347.7e. Retrieved from https://journals.lww.com/ajnonline/Fulltext/2011/03000/Evidence_Based_Practice,_Step_by_Step_.31.aspx
Newhouse, R. P., Dearholt, S., Poe, S., Pugh, L. C., & White, K. M. (2007). Organizational change strategies for evidence-based practice. Journal of Nursing Administration, 37(12), 552557. doi:0.1097/01.NNA.0000302384.91366.8f. Retrieved from http://downloads.lww.com/wolterskluwer_vitalstream_com/journal_library/nna_00020443_2007_37_12_552.pdf
Melnyk, B. M. (2012). Achieving a high-reliability organization through implementation of the ARCC model for systemwide sustainability of evidence-based practice. Nursing Administration Quarterly, 36(2), 127135. doi:10.1097/NAQ.0b013e318249fb6a
Melnyk, B. M., Fineout-Overholt, E., Gallagher-Ford, L., & Stillwell, S. B. (2011). Evidence-based practice, step by step: Sustaining evidence-based practice through organizational policies and an innovative model. American Journal of Nursing, 111(9), 5760. doi:10.1097/01.NAJ.0000405063.97774.0e. Retrieved from https://www.nursingcenter.com/nursingcenter_redesign/media/EBP/AJNseries/Sustaining.pdf
Melnyk, B. M., Fineout-Overholt, E., Giggleman, M., & Choy, K. (2017). A test of the ARCC© model improves implementation of evidence-based practice, healthcare culture, and patient outcomes. Worldviews on Evidence-Based Nursing, 14(1), 59. doi:10.1111/wvn.12188. Retrieved from https://sigmapubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/wvn.12188
Melnyk, B. M., Fineout-Overholt, E., Gallagher-Ford, L., & Stillwell, S. B. (2011). Evidence-based practice, step by step: Sustaining evidence-based practice through organizational policies and an innovative model. American Journal of Nursing, 111(9), 5760. doi:10.1097/01.NAJ.0000405063.97774.0e. Retrieved from https://journals.lww.com/ajnonline/Fulltext/2011/09000/Evidence_Based_Practice,_Step_by_Step__Sustaining.27.aspx