- Find a root in the appendix of our textbook or in an online search of medical terms. Then change the root into three other terms by adding different prefixes and/or suffixes. These must be actual words that are of accepted use in medical language.
- Deconstruct each of your three medical terms. Tell what each word part is (prefix, root, and/or suffix) and define each word part.
- Give the definitions for each new medical term.
- Then use each term correctly in a sentence IN A MANNER THAT MAKES THE MEANING OF THE TERM CLEAR FROM CONTEXT.
- Be sure to review the terms already posted on the discussion board for this assignment. Only use terms that have not been previously used. Also, do not use the examples given in the video or in these instructions for your post.
- After posting your idea, respond to two other posts by members of your Discussion Group in a substantive and meaningful manner. Be sure to address the person by name, restate their three terms, and explain how you think understanding these terms will be helpful to you in the future.
- This is a graded activity. Please refer to the rubric for grading criteria.
The root is thyroid for this example.
1. Hyper-thyroid-ism: overactive or excessive production of thyroid hormones.
- Prefix is hyper- : excessive or above
- root is thyroid: thyroid gland
- suffix -ism: condition
- Sentence: Hyperthyroidism can accelerate your body’s metabolism, causing unintentional weight loss and a rapid or irregular heartbeat.
2. Hypo-thyroid-ism: deficiency of thyroid hormone
- Prefix: hypo– : deficient; below; under; less than normal
- Root: thyroid: thyroid gland
- Suffix: -ism: condition
- Sentence: Hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid) Major symptoms include fatigue, cold sensitivity, constipation, dry skin, and unexplained weight gain.
3. Thyroid-itis: inflammation of the thyroid gland.
- Root is thyroid: thyroid gland
- Suffix -itits: inflammation
- Sentence: The most obvious symptom of subacute thyroiditis is pain in the neck caused by a swollen and inflamed thyroid gland.