Barbara receives an email from her manager asking about the progress of the strategic plan. The manager informs Barbara that UCCO is wanting to implement a new electronic health record (EHR), to improve the overall process of providing quality patient care; and organizational challenges. After her discussion, Barbara realizes that she would need to complete a situational analysis. By performing a situational analysis, planners can help anticipate and manage change. Understanding the internal and external environment is also critical to an effective strategic plan. For the external environment, planners look at opportunities and threats. For the internal environment, planners look at strengths and weaknesses.
For this project assignment on UCCO, complete a minimum of a 1-2 page report and two SWOT tables to describe key opportunities, threats, strengths, and weaknesses in selecting an electronic record system. Your written report should address the following concepts:
Visit the Rasmussen online Library and search for a minimum of 2 articles covering the topics of electronic health record implementation. Conduct academic research using the library’s databases, like:
- Business Source Complete via EBSCO
- Business via ProQuest
- What is the current economic situation for UCCO? What suggestions can Barbara make to help mitigate financial issues? Use the financial review provided in the UCCO case.
- What type of electronic record system should Barbara recommend for the company? What is her best option? What are the financial implications? Explain the choice based on what the system can provide in comparison to the organizational challenges?
Visit the Internet and search for a minimum of 2 electronic health record systems. Search for types of EHR systems.
To complete this assignment, construct two situational/SWOT analysis tables ÃÂ¢Ã¢âÂ¬Ã¢â¬Å one for each electronic record system being considered – that contains the following:
- External influences – opportunities and threats.
- Internal influences – strengths and weaknesses.
- Trends that can impact clinic performance, market and financial position
- EHR System functions and capabilities
- EHR End-user requirements and ease of use
Remember to integrate citations accurately and appropriately for all resource types; use attribution (credit) as a method to avoid plagiarism. Use NoodleBib to document your sources and to complete your APA formatted reference page and in-text citations.
There has been a rapid growth of urgent care in the UCCO area in the past five years, which is fueled by patient demand for convenient, affordable care. Patients are looking for accessible healthcare that provides access to specialty services. Because UCCO was one of the first in the area, there is an advantage to having an established customer base. However, there are some current challenges that both reflect the urgent care community and nationa trends.
· Growing, over-saturated of urgent care centers in the area
· Messaging that urgent care centers provide only general care services; specialty services not promoted
· Growth in patient volume is driven by demographic trends
· Population of aging patients (over age 65) growing at tremendous rates
· Cost of treatment for the UCCO continues to rise, yet patient cost remain the same
· Insurance cost rising, uninsured patients numbers rising
· Financial profits for UCCO down by 10% each year, for the past 3 years
· UCCO collections for patient balances are increasing
· Compliance audits reveal issues with patients confidentiality and privacy
· HIPPA training not completed as part of new employee orientation
· Customer satisfaction rates declining
You will develop a strategic plan based on the Urgent Care Clinic Organization
Urgent Care Clinic
-Urgent Care Clinic (UCCO) is a group of medical facilities that provide clinic services to the community. UCCO is an important aspect to the healthcare community by providing convenient services when a patient is unable to go to a primary care doctor or hospital. They are used for immediate care attention that may or may not be an emergency situation. Urgent Care Centers provides access to healthcare during the day, as well as nights, weekends, and most holidays.
-UCCO was started in 2002 to address medical services needs in the local community. The goal was to minimize the need to seek multiple physicians and provide comprehensive healthcare. It was also the goal to provide services beyond the traditional operating hours of primary care and other doctors offices. UCCO focuses on total wellness that incorporates an integrative approach to optimize quality patient care.
-The mission of UCCO is to promote community health. We offer a collaborative approach to enhance healthy lifestyles, with cost effective, quality care. The vision is to be the most trusted multispecialty organization in the regional area by consistently providing excellent customer service and high quality medical care.
-UCCO is made up of 3 facilities with 8 specialties. 14 doctors, 3 directors, and a number of clinical staff and employees. Over 30% of UCCO patients are uninsured without any form of health insurance benefits.