Evidence-based practice is initiated by nurses and other healthcare professionals who identify questions about specific health-related interventions and the outcomes of those interventions on individuals and populations. The creation of a PICOT question helps guide evidence-based initiatives. The purpose of this worksheet is to provide an opportunity to explore the development of a PICOT question as a foundation for evidence-based practice. CO1: Integrate evidence-based practice and research to support advancement of holistic nursing care in diverse healthcare settings. (PO 1, 4)
CO2: Integrate knowledge related to evidence-based practice and person-centered care to improve healthcare outcomes. (PO 1, 2)
CO3: Demonstrate professional and personal growth through a spirit of inquiry, scholarship, and service in diverse healthcare settings. (PO 3, 4)
CO4: Develop knowledge related to research and evidence-based practice as a basis for designing and critiquing research studies. (PO 1, 2, 5)
- Review the elements included in PICOT questions to guide evidence-based nursing practice.
- Respond to the questions below using the PICOT Question Worksheet Template
- Using a minimum of 3 scholarly nursing sources, current within 5 years:
- Identify and describe one practice-related issue or concern. You may choose to build on the practice issue you identified in NR500NP/NR501NP.
- Explain why the issue/concern is important to nurse practitioner practice and its impact on health outcomes.
- Describe each element of your PICOT question in one or two sentences, being sure to address all of the following:
- P-Population and problem What is the nursing practice concern or problem and whom does it affect?
- IIntervention What evidence-based solution for the problem would you like to apply?
- CComparison What is another solution for the problem? Note that this is typically the current practice, no intervention at all, or alternative solutions.
- OOutcome Very specifically, how will you know that the intervention worked? Think about how you will measure the outcome.
- TTime frame What is the Timeframe involved for the EBP initiative or the target date of completion?
- Construct your PICOT question in the standard PICOT question format (narrative) and define each letter separately, such as:
- P =
- I =
- C =
- O =
- T =
- PICOT question written in full =
- At the graduate level, we like to see you synthesizing your ideas into your own words. No direct quotes may be used in this worksheet.
- Use APA formatting guidelines for references and citations.