Mid-Term Summary & Study Guide: NURS-6521 o 100-question Exam which will assess your knowledge on the Learning Resources from Weeks 1-6. o Time limit of 2 hours. o Multiple choice or multiple selection. Pharmacokinetics: Understand the implications of changing renal function on creatinine and drug dosing. What is the impact of the following on drug levels and dosing: o Cirrhosis o Protein binding o Drug interactions o Half-life Routes of Administration and Dosage Forms: Understand the different routes of administration and dosage forms and some of the challenges and benefits associated with these routes and forms. Understand when it is OK to crush (or not crush) certain dosage forms and why. Which routes of administration have the fastest and slowest rates of absorption? Know the relative onset, monitoring and appropriate use of various dosage forms including: o Patches (ie; fentanyl, rivastigmine) o Suppositories (ie; acetaminophen) o Sublingual tablets o Tablets o Liquid (know common measures) o Injectables o Sublingual o Nasogastric o Elixir (contains alcohol) Therapeutics: Gastrointestinal, Cardiac, Respiratory, Neurology, Musculoskeletal Understand the mechanism of action, side effects, appropriate use and contraindications for the classes of drugs and individual drugs listed below. Also, know the key patient education points including cautions, expected effects, and appropriate use (with food, empty stomach, etc.). Anti-diarrheals (diphenoxylate HCl with atropine sulfate, loperamide, bismuth subsalicylate) Laxatives (fiber, osmotics, stimulants, other) Therapy for various gastrointestinal disorders including antiemetics, ulcers, irritable bowel syndrome, Crohns ulcerative colitis (ie; alosetron, PPIs like omeprazole, Mesalamine, ranitidine, etc.) Cough, cold, and sinus therapies including antihistamines and cough suppressants (ie; dextromethorphan, loratadine, fexofenadine, nasal decongestants) Cardiac Medications Digoxin (understand toxicity, dosing, use), Statins, Colestipol, Nitroglycerin Blood pressure medications (calcium channel blockers, ACE Inhibitors, diuretics, beta-blockers, nitroprusside, others) Diuretics (spironolactone, furosemide, hydrochlorothiazide) Inhalers (albuterol, ICS, LABA, anticholinergics) Asthma – Theophylline, zafikurlast, steriods Gout and arthritis therapies (allopurinol, etanercept, sulfinpyraxone, methotrexate) Hyperlipidemia (statins, bile-acid-binding resins, cholesterol absorption inhibitors, fibrates, niacin, omega-3 fatty acid supplements) Anticholinergics/cholinergics agents Agents for thyroid disease (Levothyroxine, methimazole) Multiple sclerosis therapies (Dantrium, Glatirimer, Baclofen, Tizanidine, others) Antiepileptics (phenytoin, ethosuximide, diazepam, others) Osteoporosis (calcitonin, others) Hypoglycemics (glyburide, glipizide, metformin, insulin, etc.) Pain (opioids, muscle relaxants, NSAIDs, acetaminophen, topical lidocaine, etc.) Orlistat Adrenergic agonists Terminology: Efficacy Pharmacokinetics Pharmacodynamics Drug tolerance Addiction Dependence Withdrawal First pass effect Idiosyncratic response Medication Reconciliation Other Topics: o Which drug classes produce withdrawal if stopped abruptly? When is withdrawal life threatening? o Understand the appropriate use of herbal therapies o Understand components of cultural competence o How can adverse drug events be minimized? o Why do drugs require clinical study and FDA approval? o Know common teaspoon, tablespoon, and milliliter conversions o Know DEA schedules and examples of therapies in each scheduled class (1-5). What are the special prescribing restrictions for these various classes? o Which medications should be taken with food? Which on an empty stomach? o What is the purpose of the MedWatch Program? o Symptoms and treatment of drug intoxication from cocaine, opioids, marijuana o Appropriate use of reversal agents for digoxin, opioids, etc.
study guide 6501
Our Service Charter
1. Professional & Expert Writers: Studymonk only hires the best. Our writers are specially selected and recruited, after which they undergo further training to perfect their skills for specialization purposes. Moreover, our writers are holders of masters and Ph.D. degrees. They have impressive academic records, besides being native English speakers.
2. Top Quality Papers: Our customers are always guaranteed papers that exceed their expectations. All our writers have +5 years of experience. This implies that all papers are written by individuals who are experts in their fields. In addition, the quality team reviews all the papers before sending them to the customers.
3. Plagiarism-Free Papers: All papers provided by Studymonk are written from scratch. Appropriate referencing and citation of key information are followed. Plagiarism checkers are used by the Quality assurance team and our editors just to double-check that there are no instances of plagiarism.
4. Timely Delivery: Time wasted is equivalent to a failed dedication and commitment. Studymonk is known for timely delivery of any pending customer orders. Customers are well informed of the progress of their papers to ensure they keep track of what the writer is providing before the final draft is sent for grading.
5. Affordable Prices: Our prices are fairly structured to fit all groups. Any customer willing to place their assignments with us can do so at very affordable prices. In addition, our customers enjoy regular discounts and bonuses.
6. 24/7 Customer Support: At Studymonk, we have put in place a team of experts who answer all customer inquiries promptly. The best part is the ever-availability of the team. Customers can make inquiries anytime.