***PLEASE READ THE INSTRUCTIONS COMPLETELY BEFORE ADDING A BID!!!!!!***
For this Performance Task, you will create a PowerPoint presentation with an accompanying script for a half-hour presentation. Your PowerPoint will provide current and relevant research-based information on the importance of strong and supportive staff-family partnerships and address issues that impact staff-family relationships.
***PLEASE USE the TEMPLATE complete this Assessment!!!***
Before submitting your Assessment, carefully review the rubric. This is the same rubric the assessor will use to evaluate your submission and it provides detailed criteria describing how to achieve or master the Competency. Many students find that understanding the requirements of the Assessment and the rubric criteria help them direct their focus and use their time most productively.
***PLEASE USE THE RUBRIC TO COMPLETE THIS ASSESSMENT!!!***
Fostering Caring and Meaningful Partnerships between Staff and Families
As the Director of an early childhood education program that includes a very diverse community of families, you understand the importance of developing meaningful connections between all of the significant adults in children’s lives. You have determined that one of the program goals for this coming year is to improve the number, types, and depth of staff-family partnerships. As a first step, you asked staff to share their thoughts, questions, and concerns about working and partnering with families, and you received the following responses:
- “I am working so hard on developing relationships with the children, especially at the beginning of the year, that I don’t have time to focus on families.”
- “My children have such diverse backgrounds this year. I’m not sure I can figure out how to communicate with all of their families.”
- “We put a lot of work into Family Day and not everyone comes. How should we follow up with families who didn’t make the effort to join in?”
- “Some families seem very hard to reach. How long do you keep trying?”
- “I wish our families would get to know each other better. I think that might help them connect to our program.”
- “I know there are different perspectives on parenting, but how do I balance the cultural preferences they have with what’s best for the children?”
The staff’s responses/questions tell you that most of the staff is interested in developing knowledge and skills in this area. You decide to bring everyone together to talk and to learn in a workshop format. You create a PowerPoint presentation to encourage conversation and professional development on this topic, which is so vital to children’s healthy development and learning.
To complete this Assessment:
Use the PowerPoint Template provided to create a presentation with an accompanying script that begins with a Title Slide, ends with a Reference Slide, and includes slides that cover:
- A brief introduction explaining why strong partnerships between staff and families are vital to all involved. (1-2 paragraphs)
- Analyze evidence-based resources in order to suggest:
- Four research-based strategies to help foster caring and meaningful partnerships between staff and families. (2-3 slides)
- At least three questions designed to elicit input from staff on key concepts related to building strong and supportive staff-family partnerships. (You do not need to answer the questions in your script, but they should reflect key concepts that you want staff to explore in greater depth.) (2-3 slides)
- At least two questions for staff to pose to families, which foster communication between families and staff. (1 slide)
- A brief summary of and a citation/link to a recommended article that you would like staff to read before the next workshop, which will be on strengthening staff-family communication. (1 slide)
- The resources that contributed to your knowledge base. (1-2 slides)
Note: The PowerPoint Template is formatted according to this content. However, you can change the slide titles, add slides, and make any adjustments necessary to create the most effective presentation possible.
- Use the Notes section of each slide to write the script for your presentation.
- Include photographs on at least four of your slides that appropriately represent the content on the slide, and, as a group, reflect the diversity represented in your center. (If you include photographs of children, other than your own, remember to obtain written permission. Contact your coach for the appropriate form. If you are looking for a copyright-free website, you can use Pexels. Because you are creating this PowerPoint for an Assessment and not to share for-profit, you can also use Shutterstock.
- Be sure to complete the Reference Slide, and accurately cite all of the references you used to complete your PowerPoint. When citing references within the PowerPoint and on the reference slide, use the Walden University APA guidelines for citations and the Academic Writing Expectation (AWE) writing guidelines at AWE Writing Guidelines. (1-2 slide)